File For Retirement

Contact us and we can file your retirement claim or you can file at Social Security’s website.


You cannot use this Internet application to file for:

  • Medicare coverage only (e.g., you are working and do not intend to file for monthly Social Security benefits at this time). Sometimes it is best to file for both Retirement and Medicare, even if you want to continue working and delay receiving your retirement checks.
  • Railroad Retirement benefits. If you, your spouse or your former spouse receive, or are eligible to receive a pension or annuity from the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) and you have not yet discussed the effects of filing for Social Security benefits with a RRB representative, you should contact the RRB before completing this application. You can locate the nearest RRB field office on their web site at or call their toll-free number at 1-800-808-0772.
  • An appeal of a decision about a disability claim. However, if your application for disability benefits was denied recently, you can request an appeal. If you do, Social Security will look at your case again. If it has been more than 60 days since you got their decision, you may still be able to request an appeal if you have a good reason for waiting. If you cannot use this application or you decide not to complete an application over the Internet, please call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), or visit a local Social Security office to make an appointment.


You can choose to have a representative help you when you do business with Social Security. They will work with your representative, just as they would work with you. For more information about your right to representation, view their publication, Your Right to Representation.

If you would like Social Security Advice Online to help you file for benerfits, complete the information on our HOME page by clicking in the “One-On-One Help” box.

Recent Posts